GOVERNING is the nation's leading media platform covering politics, policy and management for state and local government leaders. Recognized as the most credible and authoritative voice in its field.
GOVERNING provides nonpartisan news, insight and analysis on such issues as public finance, transportation, economic development, health, energy, the environment and technology.
GOVERNING magazine began publication in 1987 and has a circulation of approximately 85,000. The core of GOVERNING's readership consists of elected, appointed and career officials in state and local government, including governors, mayors, county executives, city and county council members, state legislators, executives of state and local agencies, and those holding professional government positions such as attorneys, public accountants, engineers and educators.
We want you to help make our coverage even stronger. The Web Producer will help produce aggregated and original news items for Governing.com.
This position is an in-house full-time position with a team consisting of about 10 employees in our office in Washington, DC.
• A demonstrated strong news sense. You will be tasked to scan dozens of websites each morning and select roughly 10 stories each day.
• Strong copyediting skills and knowledge of AP style.
• Proficiency with basic HTML, sophisticated content management systems (Clickability preferred) and related tools and technologies.
• Ability to report and write clear, concise and accurate articles.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure in a fast-paced environment.
• Familiarity with multimedia, including audio and visual production, Facebook Live, etc.
• Knowledge and experience with social media in the context of news outlets (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, and social readers).
• Available on rare occasions to work flexible, irregular hours to meet needs of Web publishing deadlines.
• Experience covering state and/or local government is a plus.
• Experience with Photoshop or other photo-editing tools is a plus.
• Ability to work at 6AM and also possible telecommuting.
Along with a resume, please provide a selection of published writing samples.
Submit to Nadine Davis at: firstname.lastname@example.org