Joe here. We made it, the last month of 2022. I wanted to thank all 12,600 of you for sticking with me this year. This newsletter is near and dear to my heart and the discussions that come out of it are some of my absolute favorites.
I am focusing on an end-of-year recap for this edition, including my most memorable reads, favorite ICYMI episodes and some of the top things I am looking forward to next year. I hope you enjoy this special holiday edition: 🎶 12 Days of Market Insights.
1. 💡 My #1 Takeaway from 2022
The gov tech market is truly a recession-proof market.
2. 👀 My Top 2 Trending Themes for 2023
1. Workforce-Related Issues
2. Funding (budgets, IIJA, etc.)
3. 📖 Favorite Books from 2022
1. Imaginable: How to See the Future Coming and Feel Ready for Anything-Even Things That Seem Impossible Today
2. Build: An Unorthodox Guide TO Making Things Worth Making
3. Digital Darwinism: Surviving the New Age of Business
4. 📚 Books I am Looking Forward to Reading in 2023
1. The 2-Hour Cocktail Party: How to Build Relationships with Small Gatherings
2. Tom Peters’ Compact Guide to Excellence
3. Citizens: Why the Key to Fixing Everything is All of Us
4. Smart Brevity: The Power of Saying More with Less
5. 💼 Top Work-from-Home Distractions
2. Garbage Truck
4. Landscaper who always shows up when I’m on video!
5. Did I say Kids? I have 5 🙋♂️
6. 📰 Most-Read Editorial Stories from Government Technology
1. Is Google Fiber Coming to a City Near You? It Just Might Be
2. What Prescott, Ariz., Learned ‘Dodging a [Ransomware] Bullet’
3. Virginia CIO Phil Wittmer Steps Away After One Month
4. Colorado.gov Downed in ‘Suspected Foreign’ Cyber Attack
5. Mandiant Reports 6 U.S. States Hacked by China-Backed Actors
6. Michigan Airport to Experiment With More Autonomous Tech
7. California Proposal Could Ban Gas-Powered Car Sales After 2035
7. 📱 Most Frequently Used Apps
1. Outlook (duh)
8. 📺 My Favorite In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) Episodes
1. Hack Your Bureaucracy with Authors Marina Nitze and Nick Sinai
2. The Journey Toward a People-Centered Smart City with Emily Royall
3. Private Equity’s Influence on Gov Tech with Jeff Cook
4. Radically Human: How New Technology is Transforming Business and Shaping Our Future
5. Regulating the Metaverse with Bradley Tusk
6. How to Start a Diversity Council in Government
7. What the Experts See in the 2022 Cybersecurity Landscape
8. The Journey from Parking to Mobility Management with Doug Rogers
9. 😍 Top Emojis from the Market Insights Newsletter
Bonus – My favorite emoji: 🏒
10. 🏆 Top 10 CIO Priorities for 2023 (states, cities & counties)
11. 🚔 The 11th Law of Government Marketing & Sales
Many of you have seen our Ten Laws of Government Sales & Marketing, the 11th law is:
Don’t buy prospective government agencies Christmas gifts. (Remember those ethics laws!)
12. 🙌 …Are you still with me?
If you are still with me, I want to thank you. Thanks for sharing your inbox with me throughout the year. I truly appreciate the opportunity to strategize, brainstorm and help each of you have greater success in the SLED market. Happy Holidays! Connect with me on LinkedIn and send me a note anytime.
Have a specific question about the market? Feel free to submit your questions to email@example.com and we will get back to you!
To get news and developments on the state and local government market delivered to your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter. 🔮