Lead generation in the state and local government sector requires strategic approaches tailored to the unique characteristics of this market. Here are 10 actionable tips for optimizing lead-generation efforts in the public-sector market:
- Shorter Attention Spans and Compressed Content: With decreasing attention spans, it is crucial to create concise and actionable content. Government professionals are overwhelmed and need content that is to the point, provides value and helps them make informed decisions. Marketers should focus on creating compressed and actionable content that tells a story and offers a unique perspective.
- New Influencers and Decision-Makers: The pandemic has accelerated changes in the government decision-making process. New roles and stakeholders are involved in IT decision-making, including practitioners, agency leadership, elected officials, and policy-makers. Marketers need to understand and engage with this diverse group of influencers to effectively generate leads.
- Speaking the Language of the Public Sector: Government agencies expect marketers to understand their specific challenges, IT priorities and existing solutions. To build trust and credibility, marketers should speak the language of the public sector and demonstrate knowledge of the agencies’ needs, current technology landscape and relevant industry trends.
- Embracing Omnichannel Lead Delivery: To reach government professionals effectively, marketers need to leverage multiple channels and platforms. Omnichannel lead delivery ensures that leads are captured from various sources and allows for tailored messaging and engagement across different touchpoints. A comprehensive marketing strategy should include newsletters, web marketing, sponsored content and webinars, with actionable hooks to engage and nurture leads.
- Identifying the Customer Journey: Government buying processes involve multiple stakeholders with different roles and responsibilities. Marketers should identify all the key individuals involved in the buying process, from practitioners to agency leadership, elected officials and policy-makers. Mapping the buyer’s journey helps determine the critical touchpoints and content requirements at each stage, enabling marketers to engage with the right audience effectively.
- Creating Buyer Personas: Building buyer personas based on market research and real data helps structure marketing strategies. Demographics, psychographics, job responsibilities, goals, challenges and preferred communication methods should be considered when developing buyer personas. Understanding the target audience’s preferences and needs enables marketers to create more targeted and personalized content.
- Using Content to Generate Leads: Content marketing plays a pivotal role in lead generation. Effective content should be a resource for government customers, providing actionable insights, best practices and job-critical information. Sharing a unique point of view and helping prospects make informed decisions builds trust and credibility, enhancing lead-generation efforts.
- Designing Campaigns for Different Personas: Aligning campaigns with different personas and roles within the government sector increases the chances of engaging the right stakeholders. A diverse content strategy that includes papers, webinars, articles and case studies allows for targeted messaging and personalized touchpoints throughout the buyer’s journey.
- Seasonality of Government Budgeting: Understanding the cyclical nature of government budgeting is crucial for effective lead generation. Planning campaigns that align with the budget cycle ensures marketing efforts are timed appropriately. Each quarter of the fiscal year presents different opportunities for engagement, ranging from project planning to budget reviews and implementation.
- Leveraging Nurture Campaigns: Nurture campaigns are vital for building relationships and guiding prospects through the buyer’s journey. Providing relevant and engaging content through nurture campaigns helps keep leads engaged and moves them closer to conversion. Nurturing leads requires a multi-touchpoint approach over an extended period, with different types of content tailored to specific stages of the buyer.
We’d love to help you develop an effective lead-gen strategy. Let us know if you are interested, and we will schedule a call.
Sign Up for Our Free Monthly Market Insights Newsletter
Get the inside scoop on the state and local government and education markets — delivered monthly to your inbox — from the one and only JoeKnowsGov!